Sunday, January 31, 2010

Patterns, and Fabric and Projects, oh my!

A few weeks ago my sister and I spent some girl-time at a fantastic shop a few minutes north called The Rabbit's Lair. It's heaven on earth for anyone with a fabric addiction. They sell bolts and bolts and fat quarters and skinny eighths and all manner of patterns and what nots... it's just divine.

Most days I'm all about vintage fabrics rescued from obscurity in the thrift store shelves or auction tables, but I have to admit that I was all gaga over the stuff in the shop. I have a new project to work on this spring and picked up some things to use. A local children's boutique called Terra Tots has asked me to bring in a few examples of tunics I have in mind to make, so I thought the bright fabrics I picked up there would be perfect. The idea is to make them reversible, and they would be great over jeans or leggings with pretty much any kind of shirt underneath.

I've been keeping an eye out for a pattern for a tunic that will give me a jumping off point for what I want to do, and found these. The one on the left is what I had seen in my head - with the ties on the sides. But I also just LOVE the little blouse in that middle one. How adorable would that be made out of vintage bedsheets? Now I need to learn how to alter patterns... I smell a new sewing book (or three) on my horizon.


Here are my thoughts on the pieces to put together... and a couple I bought just because I love them.Disregard the tiny wrinkles... if you want to see ironed fabric, go here.

3 comments:

idyll hands said...

I can't wait to see some of the finished products! I really like the last pairing of fabric - it's calming. :)

Raven B said...

Oh my goodness. The childrens vintage stuff is so adorable. I want it I want it I want it. Now you have me wanting to go thrifting this morning. EH

janimal said...

Ohhh, I have that pattern from the far left! I made the tunic but haven't added the ties yet. The pattern is from 1975 and was pretty easy to make! (A neighbor gave me a bag of vintage patterns) I made the pants but honestly I am not crazy about that part of the pattern. I really want to see your finished tunic, and now I am motivated to finish mine! I did it in pink, with white lining, and a flowery pocket and ties.